Friday, February 24, 2023

Italy and Czech Repulic Europe Part 2

Youll have to forgive me, I am also an amatuer blog poster.  Writing this is actually quiet hard, but I know you will enjoy and it is a good keepsake for later. 
 My pictures are arranged in reverse order. So, you can start at the bottom if you prefer. 


One of my favorite days of the year! Started off with a massage to work on my tight and painful legs, followed by a coffee and meeting Lenka. Then a bike ride along the river to a picnic feast at a park. Next, a castle tour in Enlish, video call with the boys (gotta love technology), then a bike ride down to the Via Verrata Hluboka on the river Vltava. We were home at 7p. 


Cseke Krumholv. A UNESCO World Hertitage Site. Amazing cobble streets, stores, castle, history.  Capped of my a group of school kids, teachers, and parents signing and parading for Masopust carnival 🙂 similar to Fat Tuesday. 

Traditional Czech meal, duck with dumplings. 

Our picnic site had outside table tennis tables and outdoor gym equipment. The boys would have loved the water play, put-put golf and mini wooden castle fort. 



Below: Eva installed her band saw on a custom cabinent and with strong wheels. Tim and I tried to do the same thing after ours fell over in the garage because it is so top heavy.
Eva is so driven, creative and hard working. She has built-out this workshop and customized her tools, work space and even the wall cartoon which talks about how Batman will not save the world, but make furniture.  On Thursday her new edge-sander came for making table edges. 


The city square in Ceske Budejovice. Funny enough, my friend and the US Team manager for Skimo, Milan, is from here. We stopped by his hosue and had tea with his dad, Milan Sr. 

Same river, downriver from town. 
Prague City

I have arrived! What a day so far
Fying over the Alps. Thinking of my friend, Janelle Smiley, who traversed this range in 40days! 


 OMG>>> directions. They kept changing every 5min.  How can there by a 2hr slowdown?! 

On the 'rest day' between Individual race and mixed realy- which wasn't really a relay, i skate skied and swam. Also made some connections with the Austrian team. I was able to find a swimming pool on top of a friends' hotel It was cold and rejuvenating. Modern Italy meets older history.


Sprint and mixed relay venue at Martello




Some day maybe I retire from racing and come back to ski tour the mountains! 
Map link://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1os3YALocnygoGfVwP1Z5WjdP6kNR-MU&usp=sharing

Beautful old ruins up on the mountain, Martello. 

Video sharing my experience from racing. I was pretty frustrated with myself, not able to get through to the qualifiers. This meant I only raced the clock.  For me, I want to race head-to-head with the other girls. Otherwise, I could just "Strava"- reocord my time digitially. I had 2 years of Strava racing during COVID. Seems a long way to come for just 5-10min. But I also see first hand the level of compeition. I do not want to alter the level and be an imposter. One definately feels inadequate with such an intensity of racing. That said, Tim and I were talking and he strongly suggested I ask at the coaches meeting that the race directors add a B final to the mixed relay. Our argument is that it benefits the sport of ski mountaineering to have other smaller nations practice and race the intended format. With just a qualification round, my partner Phil and I did not get to do the 'handoff'' and compete as a team.  To my surprise, the ISMF delegates listened. It was too late to include it for the following day. There was a road closure in place and a strict TV schedule to appease. 
However, happy to report that I have made an impact.  I persevered, went through the correct channels and change is made. My 'ambassador' status as the first Aussie Skimo athlete, but also having epxerience at the WCH and for another nation as well, must have helped.  Hoping to make it better for future atheltes and smaller nations who are trying to break into the sport. It's niche for sure. Lonely, isolating, intimidating, and all those things. 





My pile, not exactly a team spread but I have my mascots, Kangaroo Logan and Koala Rowan. 


 An easy walk around a lake above the biathlon ctr, and below the indivdual race venue. All inside a National Park

Ready for spring here in Czech



I will be sure to come back to Czech and the Italian Alps for more skiing, coffee, and good company. 

No comments:

Post a Comment